Whether it’s the fuzzy white patches you spot on your basement floor or the slimy black spots on your shower curtain, the household mold is unpleasant to the eye. According to the World Health Organization (WHO), 10-50%of commercial buildings and residential homes have damp conditions, meaning that nearly 50% of buildings across the world may provide favorable conditions for mold to grow and multiply.

Besides destroying your home and belongings, mold can cause various symptoms such as watery eyes and nasal congestion especially if you have a mold allergy. But how much mold exposure is dangerous? Let’s find out.

What is mold?

Mold is simply a non-scientific term referring to numerous types of unwanted fungi which you can find both outdoors and indoors. For mold to grow and thrive, they require moisture and are distinguished by unappealing patches of brown, black, green, pink and fuzzy growth.

mold

Molds are unpleasant and cause musty odors, moldy carpets, soggy drywall, damp basement and water leaks among others. Molds damage the materials they thrive on and cause untoward health effects to people including infections and allergies.

So how much mold exposure is not good for your health?

The question of how much mold exposure is dangerous is very common and the simple answer to that question is that any amount of mold is not favourable although there’s no specific line where mold could be dangerous, simply because people are different with different mold tolerance levels.

People tolerate mold exposure in different amounts depending on their immune systems and age and according to experts, infants and young children are more vulnerable to the effects of mold than older people. Mold may come into contact with an individual through eating, contact or absorption through the skin.

Solving your mold problem before it becomes toxic

As stated earlier, mold has never been a pleasant sight and once you spot it in your home or commercial building, it’s worth understanding the health risks associated with it. If you realize that mold has quickly spread for a few square feet, contact Mr Mold Removal as soon as you can for professional removal and clean up of your building.

Hurricane Matthew Town's Demise, Nichols, USA - 27 Oct 2016

The top reason why you need a professional is that they will first identify the mold type and thereafter handle it professionally. It is recommendable not to remove large quantities of the mold on your own or cleaning crew due to various health risks linked with more toxic fungi like black mold. Always remember that mold multiplies really fast and the more they grow, the more you and the people around you are at risk of developing health issues.

Effects of mold on your health

Exposure of mold for a long time has significant impacts on your wellbeing and if not treated, it may cause various side effects such as;

· Throat irritation

· Nasal stuffiness

· Skin irritation

· Eye irritation

· Wheezing or coughing

· Serious lung infection to the individuals sensitive to mold exposure

How to prevent mold in your building

· Fix any leaking pipes or roofs properly

· Regulate the levels of humidity in your building properly

· Ventilate your building

Final thought

Mold thrives both outdoor and indoor and can enter your building through open doorways, vents, windows and air conditioning and heating systems. Mold in the outside air attaches itself to pets, shoes, bags, and clothing and is carried indoors where it can survive in places with lots of moisture. As mold grows, it becomes a nuisance, not only to your health but also to the eye and if you’ve been wondering how much mold exposure is dangerous, the answer is that any amount of mold is not good for you.