Back in the day, asbestos was one of the most popular building materials. It could be found at every construction site, every office, building, school, grocery store, and home. However, in the 1970s scientists and doctors realized the risks of having asbestos in a home or at the workplace and they warned people that asbestos can cause lung cancer and other respiratory problems. So, ever since the 1980s, this fibrous material hasn’t been used at all. Therefore, if your home was built after the 1980s, you are safe. If, however, you are living in an older home, asbestos is probably your roommate. Is having asbestos in your home as dangerous as people say it is and what should you do if you find it? Let’s find out the answers.
What Exactly Is Asbestos And Why Is It So Dangerous?
Asbestos is actually a silica mineral and it is made of fibers. The fact that it is made of fibers is exactly the reason why asbestos was used as a building material back in the day. These fibers give this material its strength and this is why construction workers used it so much. They used it for insulation as well because it is fire resistant. So, they put it in places where heat resistance was necessary. For example, it was the perfect material to put around boilers and steam fittings.
Sadly, asbestos proved to be rather harmful to people and it was banned from further use. One of the main reason it was banned was because it caused the disease called mesothelioma. This is a type of lung cancer caused by the inhalation of asbestos fibers.
If you live in a home where the asbestos is intact, your health is not necessarily at risk. However, these materials can deteriorate over time or become damaged and this is when asbestos fibers can be released into the air. Once these fibers are released they can find a way to your lungs and cause serious health problems. However, the already mentioned mesothelioma is not the only disease caused by this material. These fibers can also cause the disease called Asbestosis, which is the permanent scarring of the lung tissue. These scars can be deadly.
What To Do And Who To Call When You Find It In Your Home?
Finding asbestos in your home is definitely not a pleasant experience. This is the place where you spend most of your time. This is where your kids are growing up. It’s safe to say that you don’t want to find something like this in your home. However, in case you do find it, you have to know what to do and who to call.
If you are renovating your home and you stumble upon asbestos, the best thing to do is to just leave it there and call the professionals. Damaging the asbestos will cause it to release fibers in the air and you will inhale them. Also, if you suspect there is asbestos in a certain part of your home, make sure to call the professionals to check it out. These people are able to figure out whether or not there is asbestos in your home without releasing the fibers in the air. This is the safest and most responsible way to deal with this issue.
Also, you should know that there is a chance you and your loved ones have certain health problems caused by this material. This doesn’t necessarily have to be true, but just to be completely sure, you should call the asbestos lawyers because these people will tell you your legal rights in case the asbestos from your home has damaged your health. Having a legal battle with the construction workers who built your home won’t be a simple task, but these people will be able to help you to get justice and protect your family. These days, a lot of people don’t take asbestos seriously and this is a big mistake. Just because it was banned back in the 1980s doesn’t mean you are not living in the older house with asbestos. So, if you want to keep yourself and your family safe, you have to take certain precautions and test your house for this material. Asbestos is a silent killer and you have to take this threat seriously.